Skip to navigation Skip to content
About Mental Illness
- Annual budget is $55 million
- Began in 1952 in response to the terrible conditions in State Hospitals (learn more about our story)
- Treats all persons with dignity and respect that they deserve
- More than 50 programs in Central Pennsylvania (here's our 11 offices)
- Over 1,000 staff employed
- Staff working in over 200 schools
- Provides psychiatric services to 65 retirement communities
- Serves 950 clients each day (28,000 clients in 2012)
- Celebrated our 60th year in 2012
- One in four people have experienced mental illness.
- About half of all mental disorders begin by age 14.
- After emergencies or major disasters, mental disorders tend to double.
- Lost earnings from major mental disorders annually cost the U.S. $190 billion.
- Suicide ranks third of leading causes of death for youth aged 15-24.
- By 2020, mental illness will rank as the leading cause of disability worldwide.